Search This Blog

Saturday, June 21, 2014

My New Coach

Lesson on Hydration
My running journey has taken many twists and turns since March 1, 1994, when I officially became a runner.  It was on that day that I went out for track and my Coach told me to go run with the distance guys.  Seven miles later Coach Rowe looked at me and said, "you're a distance runner."  Of course, he already knew that, but he needed me to know that.  After three years of trying to get me to join the track and cross country team, I finally started running and I've been a runner ever since.

I am sure many others can relate to this statement:  As we progress in our careers, start families, and take on extra responsibilities our time for running decreases.  There are points when it just nearly becomes impossible.  Or...at the very least seems impossible.  Over the past two years the stretches of not running have far exceeded the stretches of being able to run.  There are a lot of reasons--great ones--for that, but at my core I am a runner and running helps make me...well...me.

On Memorial Day this year Liya was pointing to the french doors located off
of our front porch saying "outside, outside."  As she approached the doors, she pointed to the stroller and kept saying "outside."  It was in this moment that I realized that I had found my new Coach.  She was quite literally encouraging me to go outside and get her moving in that stroller.  So...for the first time in months I laced up my running shoes, put Liya in the stroller, and we ran.  All of a sudden, the doubts about being able to still run and the guilt of not actually even trying to run faded away.   It was joyous and freeing and invigorating.  

Post Run Coaching Session

Over the past four weeks Coach Liya and I have run each Saturday and Sunday morning.  We run all over Broadripple and see new things and take "selfies" and she teaches me about all sorts of things--like woofing at dogs when we pass them or waving and smiling at other runners and walkers. Mostly, though, she has reminded me that I am a runner and that she wants me to share that part of me with her.

I cannot promise that I will blog as regularly as I used to, but I will commit to writing about our running adventures when I have a free moment.  Running together provides a special time for the two of us and it's definitely a turn in my running life that I am loving.  Have a great weekend!  

No comments: