Search This Blog

Friday, September 30, 2011

Oh September...

Good morning!  Happy September 30!  Myles and I are sitting here together typing out a post on this last day of the month.  I always love the last day of the month because I get to compile my running stats for the month.  I love looking at my day to day running for any given month and then being able to quantify my efforts.  So...this month:
Miles run:  246.2
Days run:  24
Days I ran 10 or more miles:  15
Miles run since June 1:  926.6
Days I ran 10 or more miles since June 1:  63
Miles run in 2011:  1509.6

Overall, I was very happy with September's effort and my overall marathon training effort since June 1st.  I have a big run planned tomorrow as I'm running in an event that has a 5K and a 10K and I'm going to run both of them.  Should be interesting. 

I have a short message this morning.  I recently began watching the show "Revenge" on ABC.  The first episode led with the Confucius quote:  "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."  That quote has really stuck with me and it's powerful.  In life, we have conflicts with people and if we choose to try and get even or get revenge, then we often enter into a never ending cycle of who gets the last word or who gets even last.  In my opinion, no one wins when we become focused on getting the last word, getting even, or getting revenge.  Therefore, you must dig two graves.  This concept reminds me of our current political system.  You have Republicans and Democrats in a constant battle trying to get revenge on the other for a variety of reasons--election defeats, sweetheart deals, leaking embarrassing personal information, etc.  Both parties are engaged in a war of trying to get the last word, get even, or get revenge, and they are using the average American as leverage and as capital.  They are not truly thinking about how to help create jobs or care for our less fortunate.  They are merely concerned with winning and getting revenge if they don't win. If we continue to allow this game of revenge to proceed, then we'll have to dig three graves, a Republican grave, a Democrat grave, and then a grave for all the rest of us.  This has to stop and we have the power to do so.  We have 500 or so people making key decisions for 300,000,000 million Americans.  We have the numbers.  They don't.  So...I encourage you to vote out the revenge seekers, call your elected officials, and demand that they start working on helping us rather than playing twisted games of revenge. 

Have a wonderful day.  I'm off my soap box now and headed to work.  Happy running to you!

No comments: