Search This Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 Goals...

M15s:  My Limited Ed. Mizuno Wave Riders
Good Morning!  Happy 2012!  It's going to be a fantastic year and I hope you are ready for it.  My six mile run this morning was awesome and it's hard to believe I ran in shorts, but it's in the 40s so I did.  This is going to be a short post with my goals for 2012.  A cardinal rule of setting goals is that you put them in writing and tell people about them!  In general, when one broadcasts their goals, then they are more likely to commit to reaching them.  Here are mine:

  1. Let it go:  Yesterday, I wrote a great deal about this.  Briefly, in order to truly reach my potential in 2012, I have to let go of any negative baggage from 2011.  So...I commit to letting it go!
  2. Leave work at work:  I have a bad habit of disrupting my time with Sarah & Myles by checking work email on my iPhone.  Sometimes, this is good and sometimes it's adds needless frustration to a time that is supposed to be spent with Sarah and Myles.  Worse than that, sometimes I bring home residual feelings that just need to be left in my office.  So...I commit to managing my work/life balance by leaving work at work unless it's an emergency.
  3. Stay healthy in running:  I've had two very good years of training (averaging over 1800 miles run the past two years).  A great deal of that health has to do with taking 1-2 days off from running each week and also through core training.  So...I commit to staying healthy.
  4. Focus on 5K/10K/10MILE:  I have flirted with the idea of the ultra marathon, but that would severely impact my ability to meet goal #3.  So...I'm going to try and run a sub 16:59 5K, a sub 34:59 10K, and a sub 58:59 10 Mile.  If I train well, there is no reason I cannot reach PR's (personal records) in the 10K and 10 Mile.  So...I commit to these running time goals.
  5. Write a book:  This one scares me a bit.  But...more than a few people have suggested I turn this blog into a book.  So...I commit to writing a book this year.  Who knows, maybe it'll get published.
So...there you have my goals for 2012.  We have 366 days this year and I plan to make the most of each one.  Here's to a Happy New Year for you and your loved ones.  Happy running to you!

1 comment:

JP Murrell said...

You can do them all. I would love to read a Skillman book! A motivational or leadership book from you would be awesome!