Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Year with Myles...

Good Morning!  Hope that you are well.  This morning I ran 15.25 miles and it was a beautiful morning for it.  I woke up early, took Myles out to potty, stretched, and then just went for it.  This week I ran 59.85 miles and have now run over 1240 miles for the year.  Just running along...


August 28, 2010
August 27, 2011
One year ago today, August 28, 2010, my life changed in a way that I could not possibly imagine at the time.  Sarah and I were getting ready to cook some dinner and I had fired up the grill.  I had started on a beer and was checking the players I picked up in the fantasy football league draft that I play with some of my friends.  Sarah looked at me and said, "Josh, what do you think about this one?"  I walked over to her computer, took one look at the picture, and said, "let's go."  Very quickly, Sarah and I packed a quick sandwich and some chips, I grabbed some water while putting the beer in the fridge, and we drove to the north side of Indianapolis.  When we entered the place where he was I was so nervous.  Very quickly, we saw him, picked him up, and as Sarah held the little one in her arms I knew he was going to be our little puppy.  I kid you not--one and a half hours after seeing Myles online, we were sitting at our place in downtown Indy with an eight week old puppy.  We were happy, nervous, scared of screwing it up, but mostly just happy.  It took a couple days for us to name him, but finally we settled on Myles after considering names like Indy, Desmond, and Charlie.  Myles just stuck and it's a perfect name for our perfect boy.
The last year has been wonderful and the impact Myles has had on my life has been immeasurable.  I know that I carry on and on about him on this blog, on Facebook, and on Twitter (he has his own account:  @MylesTweetz), and I would imagine it's difficult to understand if you don't know Myles and you don't know me.  But...if you know me well and you've met Myles, then you know first-hand what an impact he's had on me.  I thought about composing three lessons he's taught me and writing about each one.  However, I think the impact Myles has had can be summed up in one simple story.  Everyday when I come home from work, Myles greets me with unbridled enthusiasm, untempered excitement, and pure love.  When Sarah comes home, he greets her with the excitement  and energy that would make you think he'd not seen her in a thousand years.  Quite simply, Myles is love and he treats Sarah and I like we all would like to be treated.  That, in itself, has helped me take things less seriously, come home from work earlier to care for him, and he's helped me improve my level of patience (OH, the joys of Potty Training and Doggie School!).  I feel so very responsible for Myles and having him and knowing how much he depends on Sarah and I to come through for him has really helped me achieve some balance, both at work and with my mental mindset.  It's tough to be too awfully upset about anything when Myles runs to you, rubs his head and nose against your arms, and just rolls at your feet all because you came home to see him.  You see, Myles understands what many of us don't:  everyone wants to be treated like they are someones "most important" person and it's great to be able to make someone feel that way.  Myles makes me feel that way every single day and that's an absolute gift.

Well, once again I have gone on and on about my Myles.  And...yes, I'm well aware that to the outsider and perhaps to the insider I seem completely ridiculous.  But...there are a few of you who know Myles and you probably feel exactly the same way I do.  And that provides me with some hope that my grip on my sanity is quite tight.  Have a great week and happy running to you...

No comments: