Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Highs and a big LOW

Good evening!  Hope that you are doing well.  I'm sitting here with an ice pack on my ankle.  More on that later.

Last weekend was amazing.  Sarah and I celebrated our five year wedding anniversary.  Hard to believe it's been five years.  Seems like yesterday.  It's been such a blessing for me to have Sarah as my partner in this life.  Her patience with me, her understanding, and the lessons she has taught me have been invaluable.  Each day she really does help me become my best self and I love that about her.  She's the perspective when my thoughts are out of whack. She's the listening ear when I need to vent.  She's comfort when I've had a tough day.  She's reality when I need a reality check.  She's simply flat out amazing.  I'm proud of her and the way she has gone after medical school is nothing short of impressive and inspiring.  Both Myles and I are blessed.

Family Photo.  Go GEORGIA!

Running.  Wow am I feeling low right now.  On Friday some of you saw a tweet about me being chased by dogs and tweaking my left lower leg on the inside.  About a mile into my 20 mile run I had to break into a sprint to get away from three dogs who were not friendly (not the first time this has happened to me in this area).  Unfortunately, I believe that I pulled my calf muscle down near my ankle.  I continued my run, but cut it short at mile 17.5.  I took Saturday off and ran on Sunday.  I was sore for the five miles I ran on Sunday so I took Monday off.  Today, I went out again for about 6 miles and the lower inner calf/ankle portion of my leg is just so sore and it hurt.  I have to say, I'm concerned.  It's early in the injury and it could be just sore and it may just heal if I ice, stretch and massage it.  But...I've been injured before (ankle, IT band, shin splints, attacked by dogs) and this feels a lot like the previous injuries in the sense that it feels bad and not minor.  I'm so upset.  I've been training for this marathon for 6  months and I'm less than three weeks away.  I'm in the best shape I've been in since 2007.  I'm ready to PR the marathon.  And...some jerk does not leash his dogs and I get injured.  I'm beyond upset.  Still...I've not allowed myself to accept the fact that I could be injured.  I'm still going to try and run and make a go of it and see if it heals up.  Who knows?  But...I'm not going to quit trying and the pain isn't enough to keep me from running.  I'm just frustrated.  However, running teaches me that optimism and sticking to the fight when you are hardest hit pay off.  So...I'm going to stay upbeat and keep trying. 

Wearing This Wrap to Apply Compression to Increase Blood Flow


All in all, things are great.  Sarah comes back soon from her rotation.  Myles is a wonderful pup.  And...even if I am injured I do know that I'll heal and run again.  I'll never give up.

No comments: