Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Adjusting the sails...

Good morning and happy weekend to you. I've had a great week. I attended the Great Lakes Association of College and University Housing Officers Conference Sun-Wed and then had two nice days back at work. Once again I'm reminded that I'm blessed to be doing the work I do.

When I last wrote I was pretty bummed about my leg and not being able to run the marathon after all that training. As you may have gathered from the lack of posting I did not run it. It was tough not to run it, but I knew in my heart it would injure my leg and keep me out for many months. This morning I very much enjoyed my five mile run and my leg is really starting to feel better. It's sore just a bit, but there is no reason to believe it won't heal fully. I'm happy because I'm healing and I'm quite sure I'd have been frustrated if I ran the marathon and could not run. Sometimes you have to concede a battle to win the ultimate prize--for me that's the ability to run. Now...I have a new goal. I'm only 63 miles away from reaching 10,000 miles run since 1/1/2006, the date of my comeback. That is a meaningful accomplishment and that's my goal to finish out 2011. These 10,000 miles have been amazing and helped me return to running, lose 20 pounds, process a ton of stress, run a lot of races, and share my running with others. I'm blessed to be a runner.

Currently, I'm reading a great book titled The Energy Bus by Jon Gordon. University of Georgia Coach Mark Richt read the book last year and has been using it with his team. It's really helped him effectively deal with attitude issues he had on his team. Now, I'm fortunate to have a great team, but even great teams can develop bad habits and bad habits lead to bad attiutude issues. A concept I read today was about the "Energy Vampires" who drain the positive energy from your team. Gordon says you really have to get rid of the "Energy Vampires" or get them to change or your team will be limited in what to can achieve. I think that is spot on. I'm almost finished reading the book and I plan to use the concepts with my team this spring. Each person on the team will receive a bus ticket in December with the rules of the "IUPUI HRL Bus." To get on the bus, you have to have your ticket and agree to live up to the rules of the bus. I'll tell you one thing about me and my leadership style: I can deal with most mistakes but I cannot handle bad attitudes and negativity. I'll take a coachable person who learns from mistakes over an "Energy Vampire" that makes fewer mistakes any day of the week! Again, I'm fortunate not to have a ton of "Energy Vampires," but to sustain that I I must work to keep our attitudes positive. Just a small leadership thought for a Saturday.

Have a great day. Go Georgia Football beat UK! Go Hoosier Basketball and Football!

No comments: