Search This Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Indiana vs. Kentucky: One Passionate IU Fan

Good Morning!  Hope that you are having a wonderful Saturday.  For me, this is one of the best days of the year as it's Indiana vs. Kentucky in College Basketball.  Usually, I write about running or about leadership.  Today, I am going to indulge myself in some commentary about the game and what it means to me.

I grew up in Kentucky loving IU Basketball.  I was the crazy one in town that would fly the IU flags and drive around Owensboro honking my horn in my friends driveway after a big win. I'd wear IU clothes nearly every day of the week to school and the stories about me and my behavior while watching games is nothing short of legendary.  I've blocked out Christmas Trees, ran 3 miles at halftime of one game just to try and change the energy of the game, locked myself in a room during the 1992 Final Four, thrown a chair (wonder where I got that idea), dressed in crazy clothes (still do that), and once issued a one game suspension to myself for "possibly losing my cool" during a game (okay, my wife had to suspend me).  In the words of Chuck Rhodes (A legend in Student Affairs who knew me at Sonoma State), "Josh, you become a different person during an Indiana Basketball game--you ain't right."  That...probably sums it up best.

IU Flag Flying Proudly


I am about as passionate and as intense of an IU fan as you'll find.  I love the Hoosiers.  I love that the basketball coach of Indiana never has to leave the state to recruit--if he does not want to--because the state is loaded with talent.  I love the fact that when I went to IU I not only saw the players in classes I took, but I also saw them graduating with me.  I love the fact that IU fired Kelvin Sampson when he made those illegal phone calls, gutted the program, and punished ourselves for doing the wrong thing.  After all, it was an IU graduate assistant who turned in Kelvin Sampson.  It didn't take the NCAA snooping around.  We're INDIANA and when we make a mistake we have to own up to it--even if it means paying a hefty price.  That's what I love about Indiana.  It's more than just about winning at all costs--and I'm not knocking other schools with that comment.  At Indiana, though, the alums and fans expect the team to win, have the players graduate, and recruit guys that represent you well both on and off the court.  Of course, every now and then IU does have a player leave early for the NBA (Eric Gordon comes to mind), but this team is built with a bunch of college students who happen to be good at basketball.  I love this team.

To me, the biggest game of the year for Indiana is the Kentucky game because I grew up right there on the border where the banter between the fans is fierce and unforgiving.  I know that Indiana has lost 17 of the last 21 times to UK and I've been to this games 10 times and seen IU win only once.  Yet, even though we've come up on the short end--sometimes in an embarrassing way--I would never want IU to drop the game.  I'd rather play UK and have a shot to win but come up short, then play a team no one cares about beating.  I care about beating UK.  It will be awesome if we win and crushing if we lose.  I cannot say I feel the same way about playing any other team with the exception of Illinois and Purdue. Winning today will be a tall task for our team, but after three years of rebuilding from the ground up, we finally have a realistic shot.  Assembly Hall is going to be "electric" tonight!

To my friends and family who love UK--and there are quite a few:  I wish you good luck today, a great game, and happy fan exchanges. 

To my IU Peeps:  Let's Go Hoosiers!  Cheer loud and rep IU well!  Go IU! 

To Sarah, my wife:  Thanks for making sure I had tickets and for agreeing to chaperone me so that I behave!  You are amazing and I love you!

Let's go IU!

No comments: