Search This Blog

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Run Every Mile: The Character of a Runner

Good morning.  Hope that you are doing well.  I'm so excited for today.  Our Georgia Bulldogs play in the SEC Championship game against a very good LSU team.  I'm hoping for a victory.  Go Georgia!

I had the best run I've had since my injury in October.  My left calf is finally feeling close to 100%.  That makes me very happy.  Every day that my leg heals it makes me more convinced that I made the correct decision in not running the marathon in November.  It was a great 5.25 mile run.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the standards I expect from myself and from others and I think it has a lot to do with being a runner.  The gift that running provides is immeasurable.  Running is demanding and it expects honesty and integrity in order to reward me.  And...Let's be honest for a second.  I'm not an elite runner.  I'll never run in the Olympics.  No one will care if I report that I ran five miles today but really ran three.  Reality is that I'm not that important and no one in the running community will care or probably even know.  But...I'll care and running will care.  And...that's what matters.  For me, running is not so much about being the fastest, running the farthest, or being the best, but rather it's about getting the best from myself by crossing every "I" and dotting every "T" and doing it the honorable, honest way.  In this life, I choose to see others as trying to run the same way and I assume that they are running the same way--I can be guilty of living in my isolated runner mindset.  Every now and then something slaps you in the face and you're reminded that's not everyone runs like that.  Not everyone runs every mile.  Not everyone reports how much they run accurately.  Not everyone who says they run actually runs.  It's crushing when you realize not everyone runs the way that they should.  However, no matter what other runners might do if you know what to do, then it does not make any difference.  None whatsoever.  Running the miles in the way that they are supposed to be run and doing it that way every single time you run is completely doable no matter what.  No matter what.  And...that's what running teaches me.  Running will never expect anything less than my best, most honest effort.  It will not reward me for a half way effort.  And...it will know if I'm not doing it the right way.  That's why I love running.  There is no hiding or misleading.  You are what you run.  Period.

Have a wonderful Saturday.  I hope that your teams (as long as it's not LSU, you mean LSWHO?) win.  Happy running to you...

No comments: