Search This Blog

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Baby Ski

Good morning!  Hope that you are having a wonderful Saturday morning.  This week has been a tremendous week for running.  I ran 6.5 miles this morning and now have run 30+ miles for each of the past three weeks.  Back on track.

I always try to write with authenticity in my blog and it's been tough to keep the news I'm about to share private because it's such good news.  But...the news I have to share is not something shared on a whim.  If you are friends with Sarah on Facebook, then you know that she is pregnant and we are going to be parents in December.  I'm so happy to announce that I'm going to be a DAD.  Baby Ski, as we affectionately call the little one, is due on Sarah's birthday, which is fitting.  Both of us knew that at some point we wanted to have a baby and we waited until we could be in the best position possible to become parents.  Both of us are driven in our careers and we needed to be able to reach a certain point before diving into parenthood.  We are very fortunate and I am elated.

I cannot tell you how excited I am about being a Dad.  It's a new role and I've already started mentally preparing for how my life is going to change.  I often talk about balance and not taking on more than one can handle.  I tell my Res Life staff that I only spend time on four things:  Family, IUPUI Res Life, Running, Following IU.  You see, when I do something I'm all in and go 100%.  When you do that and take on too much, then everything else suffers.  Therefore, I know that somewhere in between running and following sports that I'm going to have to spend a little less time doing both of those things.  And...I'm perfectly fine with that.  I'm going to approach being a father like I would becoming a great runner or great sports fan or great Res Lifer.  I have to go all in.  In the movie Radio the coach resigned and told the fans that he had to "get his priorities straight."  A few years ago I learned a lesson on priorities because I took on too much and did not put my priorities in the right order.  From that point forward I have tried to prioritize my life in terms of Family, Work, Running, Following Sports.  Ultimately, I'd rather be a wonderful husband to Sarah and father to Baby Ski, than a fast runner or crazy fan.  I'd rather be known as Josh the great father and great husband, than Josh the fast runner (although, I'll still be out there running).

When I've shared this news people have said, "oh Myles is in for an adjustment."  Now...I've considered myself a Dad to my dog Myles, and so I see it as expanding my fatherhood a bit.  I think Myles will need to learn to share the spotlight just a bit but he will always be my little boy.  And...I have a feeling my 5:30a morning runs might become 5:30a walks with my man, Mr. Myles. 

Have a wonderful Saturday.  Happy running to you...

1 comment:

Eboné Smiley said...

I'm so excited for the two of you Josh. Such a blessing!