Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Here comes the heat...

You know it's summer when you start your run at 6a and when you finish at 7a you are dripping with sweat--and it's only 7a. For those folks who run in the Midwest, SE, SW, and probably on many parts of the East Coast we've replaced some shivering cold days for steamy warm ones. I don't know about you, but I prefer the sweat to the bone chilling cold. Give me heat and humidity over freezing temps any day of the week.

Seriously, though, weather. The best place I ever lived was Northern California. It's a runners paradise. It's about 50 degrees in the morning--every morning and it gets to over 70 most (280 or so) days a year. It's not too hot and not too cold. I think I wore long running pants maybe 10 times in three years while running there. I wore long pants while running in Indiana 90 times in three months. Big difference.

I do not have a ton of insightful stuff this morning. I do have two thoughts, though. One, I had a great run this morning and my legs felt fresh. I'm running a 5K on Saturday and that should be a good time. Two, I hate political bs games at work. In my department, we do not have drama or politics and that's great. Yesterday, I was working with another group outside of our department on something positive and mutually beneficial, but they had some secret agenda. I hate that stuff. How does this relate to runners? Well...in general, I think running makes you more honest and strait-forward because it's hard work. When you run, you deal with honesty from your body and from your surroundings daily. When your body feels good, it lets you know. When the weather wants to be good or bad it does not hide it. In running, you deal with what you deal with and it's always right there. That's the way I try to live my life: open, honest, and strait-forward. I cannot say I was always that way--especially out of graduate school when I go caught up in the competitiveness of work. Now, though, I just get caught up in four things: Loving my wife, Running hard, working hard and ignoring the drama, and rooting my tail off for IU. Have a great day...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Josh! Awesome blog!

I'm glad you remember my home state so fondly, but I have to tell you, the weather in Sonoma has been miserable this month...rain, rain, rain. In May!

Also, I think it's hilarious that you think running makes you more honest. You would say that...I am more inclined to say that *you* make you honest, and I have always admired your integrity.

Enjoy your summer!

IndianaJosh said...

Hi Jillian! Great to hear from you. Thanks for the kind words. Hope you are doing well.