Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

You don't stop running cause you get old. You get old cause you stop running...

The Dipsea is this crazy trail race (7.4 miles) that occurs on very steep trails in the San Francisco area (Marin County). Jack Kirk ran the Dipsea for 72 consecutive years--his last year coming at the age of 96. Jack, known as the "Dipsea Demon," was once asked about how he could still run even into his 90s. He said, "you don't quit running cause you get old. You get old because you stop running."

I read this quote last night in the book Born to Run and it struck a cord with me. In fact, I marked the page before I went to sleep and promptly posted it on my Facebook page this morning after waking up. Running does keep a person young, healthy, and fit. More than anything, youthful thinking and age are a product of our mental outlook. Sure, I'm 33 years old, but I plan to live to 105. That means I still have 72 years left to live. That's awesome. Running not only keeps me feeling good, but it also helps me look forward to the current day, the next day, and so forth. When you run, there is always another milestone to reach even when you get past the age where you can set personal records. Running is not so much about how far or how fast, but more so about just getting out there and moving forward. I talk a lot about this, but life is full of things meant to stop you from moving forward. In running, even on a cold, nasty, bad day, you can still move forward. I love that about this sport.


The Dipsea Demon reminds me that aging is something that can either be embraced and celebrated rather than dreaded. This guy was running what's considered one of the toughest trail races when he was 96 years old. He ran it 72 strait years. If he can do that, then I bet nearly any person reading this blog could at the very least run a couple miles a day. Sorry for jumping on a soap box, but I just love the mental outlook that comes with thinking you only get old once you stop running. Happy trails to you...

No comments: