Search This Blog

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Josh Running Philosophy 101...

Had a great run this morning. Went for about 8.25 miles in my Nike Vomero's. Ran next to the White River in downtown Indianapolis most of the time. Today, I really thought about what I'd like this blog to become and that led me to thinking about why I run and what it means to me. Here are some brief thoughts.

More than anything, running is a way of life for me. I am a runner and I love it. Each time I run it's a gift and I am able to practice overcoming difficulties that arise, such as weather, hills, bad drivers, and just some days not wanting to get out the door. When I run I consistently practice overcoming obstacles, and it's very easy to take those lessons and translate that into everyday life. We all have bad days and we all have personal struggles--some more than others. I think in order to really overcome real life struggles in a positive way, it's important to have that personal history of overcoming tough times. More than anything, that's what running has taught me...to keep going and pushing even when I'd rather give up, and this has really helped me develop my positive outlook on life. Often times, running shows me the way to the answer (see picture).



I've had more than a few people write to me over the last few years about running advice. I hope that this blog can become a place where people who want to run or have questions can come to find the answers. I have run over 20,000 miles and 150 races during my 16 years of being a runner. If you end up liking this blog, then please feel free to post questions. Two pieces of advice for brand new runners: One, make sure you invest in a good pair of shoes and get fitted by experts. Two, when you first start running you must start slow and easy (be able to breath comfortably) and build your base slowly. It will take 2-3 weeks before you feel good while running. It will happen though.

Thanks for reading and I hope you have a great day.!

No comments: