Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

HOT!

Wow has it been HOT this week in Indianapolis. Just absolutely smoking hot. I've been running in the morning, but it's even really hot before 6a. For those of you somewhat new to running, when it's this hot you have to drink lots of water and Gatorade and make sure not to run at peak heat times (i.e. Noon). When it's in the 90s I typically run at 6a or so or at 6p or later.

Despite the heat, I had an outstanding 12 X 200 workout at the track (equals 3 miles). The workout is comprised of 12 laps around a track with half of each lap (200) run at a fast pace and half of each lap (200) run at a recovery pace. Today, I ran very well and was able to keep the difference between my fast pace and recovery pace within about 15 seconds. To give you an idea of the improvement (time for three miles)

May 21: 19:26
June 15: 18:40
July 19: 18:43
July 26: 18:44
August 12: 18:09

Typically, when I can hit this workout in the mid 17s then I know I'm in great racing shape. I'm getting closer to that mark. The 35 second improvement in two weeks is a great sign that all of the miles I've been putting in is paying off. Typically, it takes about 2 good years of uninjured running to start to run at what you are capable of running. So...I'm just at about a year of injury free running (fingers crossed). I just have to keep pushing and keep running in the low 40s in terms of miles for a week. If you ever want to really improve you speed, then try this workout. It's a killer, but it's a good one. Happy running to you. I'm off to camp with our Student Leader Staff this weekend.

No comments: