Search This Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Great Week...

  
Sarah & I at Dinner

Happy Indianapolis 500 Sunday to you!  Myles and I are ready to write a blog post for today.  I ran about six miles this morning and could not help but notice all of the vehicles headed to the track.  It's a fantastic experience.  Have fun race fans.  Yesterday, Sarah and I made the trek back to Indy after about 8 days of vacation.  The stats for vacation:  2400 miles, 11 states, 2 books on tape, lots of laughs, lots of fun, great time with our family.  I posted runs this week in North Carolina, Florida, and Indiana.  Here are my three best for the week:

 One, spending time with family.  During the first part of our vacation we headed to North Carolina to spend time with Sarah's Grandmother and Sarah's Dad.  As I stated last week, it was a real blessing to be able to be there.  For the last two-thirds of our vacation we were in Destin, Fl with my Mom, Dad, brother, sister and brother-in-law.  We enjoyed being able to spend time walking on the beach, reading good books, eating nice meals, riding jet skis, and indulging in some adult beverages.  On our last day we were enjoying the final moments on the beach and we had a nice time reflecting and just enjoying the moment.  It was probably the first time in about a decade that we were all able to go on vacation and just spend some time together without being rushed.  All in all, we were very fortunate to have been able to have gone on a nice vacation.  Back to medical school (Year 4) for Sarah and to work for me.



Me, Jennifer, & Jonathan on the last evening

Two, the HRL Team at IUPUI.  One of the major reasons I was able to leave for a week is because I have a great group of leaders.  Before I left I sat down with our Res Life Supervisory Team and went over the list of goals we needed to accomplish to keep things moving while I was gone.  On Monday when checking my email (for a VERY short time), it was clear by the email traffic that they were out there doing their best to move things forward.  It's very nice to know that I don't always have to be there for Res Life related tasks to move forward.  When I was younger in my career I was under the false impression that the show could not go on without me and I thought that was somehow a good thing.  Now, I realize that one's leadership effectiveness can be measured by how the people you lead perform when you are not there.  By all accounts, my team did great work and I'm very proud of them.

Three, the Myles Caretaking Team led by Kat and Hilda.  Many of you asked on Facebook, "what about Myles."  Yes, Sarah and I were a bit sad to leave Myles as we love him very much.  However, we left Myles under the care of two OUTSTANDING individuals.  Kat did a great job of taking care of Myles through the first part of our vacation and Hilda took over for a majority of the week.  They sent videos, pictures, and text updates.  Both Hilda and Kat patiently responded to my texts saying "how's Myles?"  It's tough to care for another person's dog because you just want everything to go well.  It was very clear when we returned yesterday that Myles had been in great care.  I know that for both Sarah and I we were able to enjoy our time away because we knew that Myles was in the best hands possible.  Thanks to both of them!

I hope that you have a fantastic Sunday and Memorial Day weekend.  Happy running to you!
Sarah went to UGA, My Dad and I to IU, My Mom, Sister & Brother to UK.  What a random picture!



No comments: