Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Vacation Running...

Enjoying The Beach, Reppin INDIANA!
Good morning!  As I type this it's odd because Mr. Myles is not sitting on my lap.  But...and it's a big BUT (Ha Ha)...I'm sitting here writing with the beach as my backdrop.  It's a beautiful morning here in Destin and the day looks like it will be magnificent.  Yes, I miss my little Myles, but from what I hear he's having just a splendid time with his new friends that are taking care of him for us.  They've been kind enough to send pictures, videos, and text updates about him.  As folks who read this blog know, I'm crazy about my pup. 

I ran for a second time this week here in Florida.  Today I ran 7 miles around 6:45a.  I know, I know.  I'm on vacation.  That's why the post is titled "Vacation Running" rather than a "Running Vacation."  I woke up naturally at 6:30a and decided to hit the road.  It's hot and humid even at 6:45a here so I'd have to classify this run as my first true summer run.  For those who run I have a couple hot weather running tips for you.  One (and it's sort of a given):  Drink lots of water.  You will lose so much water on a run in the summer.  Two, run early or late.  I would avoid running between 8a and 5p in the summer if at all possible.  Three, temper your pace--specifically, I tend to go a bit slower because the effort to run in the heat is much more significant than when it's 70 or below. 

Vacation has been great because we've been with our family this week.  First, in North Carolina with Sarah's Grandmother and Father.  Now, in Destin with my family.  So...it's been a real blessing.  Both Sarah and I go 100 miles an hour so it's nice just to take a break and relax.  Yes, I've answered some work emails.  Yes, I've been up and running and still writing.  But...I've taken a much needed mental break for 95% of my days and I'm just enjoying sitting on the beach reading a John Grisham novel (The Associate).  It's been great and I'm looking forward to another restful day.  Happy running to you...

No comments: