Search This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2010

15 strait 40+ mile weeks...

Had a great run this morning after a very nice week of training. Each week I really try to hit the magical mile mark of 40 because I know that the 40-45 mile mark is the level I need to maintain to really be competitive when racing. It's sometimes daunting trying to hit that mark with work and having a personal life. However, I've got a pretty good formula down with running before work and running a lot of Friday, Saturday and Sundays. However, sometimes your plan changes---like when you are on vacation---and you have to really be creative in hitting the mark.

This week I took off Monday and Tuesday and ran zero miles. Typiclly, I don't take two days in a row off. Probably, 2 days in a week, but never two days in a row. I like to spread my days off so that my legs get rest a couple times a week. I knew heading into Wednesday that I'd have to averge 8 miles a day for the last five days of the week to hit 40. That meant I would have to get up a 6a on Thursday to run before we made the 12 hour trip from NYC to Indiana. And...it meant I would have to run about 10 miles on Saturday morning--a morning in which it rained and it would have been easier to stay in bed. But...I really wanted to hit the 40 mile mark so I just toughed it out and did it.

15 strait 40 mile weeks is great because it means I've really had the consistency needed to start to work on running faster races. I'm looking forward to continuing to build the base over the summer and then really hit some fast times when it cools down this fall. So far this year I have run 921 miles. My goal is to hit 1000 miles before June 30 (half-way mark of year) because my goal for the year is 2000. I know if I continue to hit 40 miles or so a week for the rest of the year then I'll reach the 2000 mile mark. Hope to be able to really continue training like this. Happy running...

No comments: