Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2010

A real nice vacation...


Sarah and I had an awesome vacation last week visiting the East Coast. It was a much needed break for us after six months of Sarah's intense medical school studies and my intense work schedule. We both love what we are doing professionally, but everyone needs a break from time to time. We were able to travel through 8 states and DC: Ohio, PA, West Va, Virginia, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, New York, & Washington DC. All in all, we had a very nice time.

I mentioned this briefly in my last post, but when on vacation I do tend to scale back my expectations for training so that my legs get a break and so that I can enjoy time with Sarah. I was, however, able to run in West Virginia, DC, Virginia, and New York (places I've never run in before). Going into the trip I really felt like West Virginia-with it's mountains and beauty--would have been my favorite place to run. However, when I ran there I never found a good place to run (we were only there for a short time). Believe it or not, my absolute favorite place to run was in Brooklyn at Prospect Park. (see picture). Prospect Park is this 570 something acre park in the heart of Brooklyn. There are trails and nice paths on the road. The park truly is designed for runners, walkers, and cyclists. In a place where there is a TON of traffic and a lot of people, it was a treat to find this place. And...Sarah's brother and girlfriend (who we stayed with in Brooklyn) only live about 5 minutes by foot from the park. It's a runners paradise right in the middle of Brooklyn.

I had a great run this morning in the rain. Ran about 10.25 miles. I was able to hit the 40 mile mark for the week last week and should be able to hit the 40 mile mark this week as well. I had a great time on vacation, but was able to get up a little earlier and make sure to get some miles in. When I don't run, I'm a pain in the butt so Sarah does understand. It's great to have a wife that gets it! Have a great day. My family is in town for my uncle Ray's wedding so it should be a great day. Happy running to you.

No comments: