Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Embracing 6 AM...

Many morning my alarm goes off at 6 AM and my intention is to get up and go for a run. I think many of us (who work full time and have personal/family duties) understand that if you don't run early then you may not be able to run at all. In the summer, you can add the fact that if you don't run early (at least in the Midwest/Southeas) then you'll be running in God awful heat. So...when the alarm goes off at 6 AM, then I've decided I better embrace it.

I read a lot about running and it's fun to dream about living in the hills of North Carolina, in Tahoe, or in Euguene at one of the USA distance running centers. Those guys get paid to wake up, run, get a massage, do some stretching, sleep, and then get up and run again. Those guys run and run and run--while getting paid to do it. For most of us, though, we get paid to do something else and running is something we do in addition to that something else. I'm lucky because I love my work and for me work is play. But...every now and then I dream of being an olympic caliber runner living the dream of a well sponsored distance runner living in Boulder, Eugene, Tahoe, or Boone, NC.

For now, though, I'll just embrace 6a, beat the heat, and keep moving my legs. After all, running is not about how fast or how far, but just about being able to have that 30-60 minutes a day of peaceful movement. Happy running to you...

No comments: