Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dear Mr. Driver...

Good morning!  Hope that you have had a nice weekend.  Mine has been very productive.  I was able to spend time with Sarah and Myles, I spoke at an IUPUI event to promote IUPUI and Housing to students from historically underrepresented backgrounds, cleaned up our place, and responded to some key emails.  Yeah!

Every now and then, maybe once a month, a driver on the road will honk at me, wave me down, or yell at me for running on the side of the road.  Today, this happened again.  I was running on the road where the old baseball field is located, there was not another vehicle in sight from either direction, and this guy drives past me, points at me, mouths something that I could not hear because he was in a car, and swerves his car like he's going to hit me.  What a JERK!  Seriously, it's Sunday morning, there is no traffic in sight, and this yahoo wants to cause a scene.  So...after he passed me I turned around, smiled the biggest smile possible, and waved like I thought he was just trying to say hello.  Ha!  This sort of behavior is something that I'll never understand, but it happens frequently.  Runners and grumpy drivers just don't always get along.  And...I sort of get it.  If you've never run then you have no idea what it's like and why we prefer the road to sidewalks (road is softer on the knees).  But...as a driver I do find it annoying when people run out in front of you or walk across a busy street--so I get that.  In this situation, though, I was well out of his way and there was no need for the drama.  No need at all. 

This past week was a busy one as I attended our departmental retreat on Tuesday and Wednesday and then the Graduate Student Recruitment Outreach for HESA (Higher Education and Student Affairs) in Bloomington on Thursday and Friday.  It was awesome to interview high quality candidates from all over the United States.  I spoke with candidates from coast to coast.  We will have an extraordinarily difficult time deciding on who to offer our positions.  The HESA Program is going to be loaded with talent and that's great for our department and great for Indiana University's highly rated HESA program.   Now...I'm off to Philadelphia in 10 days to recruit full time Residence Directors.  Recruitment for Housing positions in the Spring is a four month deal from January until May.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post.  I hope you have an outstanding week.  Happy running to you!

No comments: