Search This Blog

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Time Trial Saturday...

Good morning.  Last week I wrote about my running times goals for 2011.  After much internal contemplation, I decided that I had two goals:  Break 5 minutes for the mile and break 17 minutes for the 5K.  Today, I ran a one mile time trial to set a baseline for the mile goal. 

I had no idea what I would be able to run for a mile on the track (4 laps equals a mile).  I've not attempted to run at race pace since September when I ran in The Ripple Effect 4 Mile race in Broadripple.  I felt like I could break six minutes, but had not idea I'd run as well as I did.  I went out and hit 82 seconds for the first quarter mile and then was at 2:49 for the half-mile.  On the third lap, I knew that I could put a mile in the 5:30s if I kept running at the pace I was running.  I finished the third lap and my time was 4:15.  I knew I'd have to break 85 seconds for the last lap to hit under 5:40.  I ended up throwing down a 79 second final lap and hit 5:34 for the mile.  Not too bad.  I would have been happy for a mile in the 5:50s and elated to be in the 5:40s.  So...I'm super duper pumped up to have hit a 5:34.  I just have to shave off 35 seconds over the course of the next 8 months to meet my 10/24/11 goal.

This week was exciting, as IUPUI HRL (Housing & Res Life) was in Bloomington recruiting graduate students to come and join our team.  We interviewed some outstanding candidates and it's very clear that if we can land them on our team that we will be loaded with talent.  We hired our undergraduate student staff this past week and that 40 person team is deep in talent.  Our next big step is to recruit and hire four new members for our Res Life Supervisory Team as we lose three outstanding grads to graduation.

My man Mr. Myles is laying her next to me while I type my post run blog.  This little guy is so cute.  However, when he wakes up at 3a and starts licking my ears and chewing on Sarah's hair, then he's not so cute.  But...we are crazy about our little guy and it's worth being awake at 3:15a even though it's somewhat disruptive to the sleep cycle.  Go Hoosiers today against Northwestern.  Happy running to you...

1 comment:

West Crabtree #24 said...

Great job on the mile. Good luck trimming the time down by October. You can do it!