Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Goals Before I Turn The Big 35...

Hello elephant, it's Josh.  Yes, I've been ignoring setting running goals for the year.  I'm not quite for sure why, but I've been ignoring it.  If I know me, and I do since I am me, then it's because once I set a goal I'm hell bent on achieving it.  Over the past few weeks the idea for a goal for this year has been evolving.  Today, I committed to it.


Jack Rabbit 10K in 2007.  Great year of running!

I turn the Big 35 this year.  Ouch, that sounds really adult.  I work with college students every day and I sometimes forget that I'm in the my 30s.  Running, however, reminds me sometimes.  The annoying aches and pains that did not used to be there are now present.  But...I still have a good 10-15 years left where I can really compete and run some amazing times.  Over the past few years I've been focused on half-marathons and full marathons and I've had some good luck with it (2:48 Marathon at Eugene in 2008).  However, I've struggled to run a good half-marathon as I've not been able to crack below 1:19.  I used to run 1:15 halfs and I know I can do it again.  I just think I've been going about it backwards.  I've been building by running a lot of distance.  Maybe, I need to add speed first and then distance. 


So...when I think about wanting to still be able to run a good half and still wanting to feel studly at 35 I think that there is one thing I can do to achieve both.  The Mile and 5K.  So...my goal before I turn 35 is to run a 4:59 or better mile and a 16:59 or better 5K.  It's not that far fetched.  In the summer and fall of 2007 I ran a 4:55 mile on the track and a 16:47 5K on the road.  It's been four years, but I know I can still get back to those times.  The closest I've been to a sub 5 mile is 5:19 both last year and the year before.  The closest I've been to a sub 17 5K is 17:15 last summer.  However, I've not trained to really peak at either in a long time.  So...look out. I am committing to running a sub 5 mile and a sub 17 minute 5K by October 24, 2011--my 35th birthday. 

Once the track clears I will set a baseline in both and report back on the blog.  I'll keep you all up to date on my progress--including my training and how I'm going to attack it--as I go.  Of course, I'll continue to blog about my daily musings, but for those of you who love to read about running and training you'll not be disappointed.  Have a great Sunday morning!  Happy running to you...

No comments: