Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Into The Wind...

Happy Sunday Morning to you!  I just finished up a nice 7.25 mile run.  This week I ran 30.75 miles and really got back on track with my training.  This was probably my best week of training this year.  Now it's time to keep it rolling.

Today the second half of my run was directly into a chilly wind.  Usually, I try to run into the wind first and then with the wind on the way back.  Today, though, the wind was blowing in a way that made that impossible.  As I was running, though, the wind made me think about challenges in life.  I write all the time about challenges in life and how running helps prepare me to tackle challenges.  I also thought, "hey, Josh, how many times can you write about the same thing."  But...it got me thinking a bit.  Being a positive person and believing you can overcoming difficult situations is not something that one can just think about just every now and then.  Rather, it's something that you have to think about every day.  It's got to be an ingrained mentality that you rely upon all the time.  Sure, I could dedicate a blog post once or twice a year, and then and tell some story about how running helps me tackle a challenge.  However, this philosophy is one that I practice daily.  You have to be willing to run into the wind on a daily basis in order to achieve what you really want.  You have to be willing to run into a difficult situation if you ultimately want to experience success.  In my professional, personal, and running life I have gained the most by being willing to tackle the most difficult obstacles because in times of great challenge lie great opportunities.  That's not my line, but I can attest to the fact that it's true.  If you are willing to step up and help at work, at home, or where needed during tough times, then you will really be in a position to seize an opportunity.  For me, running into the wind is just another way that running helps prepare me for real life difficult situations.


Josh being a "Poophead"

On a different note I'd like to send a shout out to my wife, Sarah, who put up with some of my nonsense on Friday.  We were playing "Words with Friends" and she was kicking my butt and I was a bad sport.  If you recall a few blog posts back I wrote about being competitive and not liking to compete against my friends and loved ones because I can be a jerk.  It's true.  Sarah and I usually play on the same team in games.  But...we like to play Words with Friends against each other.  So...I say thank you to my wife for forgiving my poor sportspersonship on Friday.  I have a wonderful wife who appreciates the raw, unedited Josh on a daily basis.  I love her for it.  The picture to the side here shows what she had to deal with.  :-)


Have a great week and Happy Running to you!  I have an intense work week so I may only be able to post a short blog on Wednesday or Thursday...

No comments: