Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

#3 Best for Week...

Good morning!  Hope that your Sunday is going well.  I ran an easy 6 mile run this morning to finish up my week at 50.2 miles total for the week.  I can really feel my legs getting stronger.  My goal was to run 200 miles in June and I'm over half way there.  Should be able to reach that goal.

Dad with his three kids
Today is Father's Day and I thought a lot about that on my run today.  To best tell you about my Dad, I'll have to share a story.  Last week I played in a tennis tournament in honor of my friend Luke.  At the start of the match I looked over and sitting in the stands next to Sarah was my Dad.  I was surprised because I knew his office was open on Saturday and he needed to be there.  Yet, there he was sitting on the bleachers watching his 34 year-old son hack away at a tennis ball.  As I thought about that while I was running this morning, it just got me thinking about my Dad.  You see, as a kid growing up my Dad was always in the stands (with my Mom) cheering me on--and for my sister and brother in their sports as well.  When I played baseball he was there.  When I played basketball he was there.  Heck, a few times when I ran the Owensboro 10 Mile Road Race he got on his bike and rode along and cheered for me.  My Dad has always been and continues to be interested in our lives and that is absolutely amazing!  I'm a very lucky guy!

Here are my three best for this week:
  1. Father's Day!  Of course, it's great to think about my Dad and about Sarah's Dad.  Both of us are fortunate to have wonderful fathers.
  2. Summer Staff:  I tell you what.  We have a ton of projects at work right now--some expected and others a surprise.  We are short-staffed right now.  But...the folks who are remaining and that have stepped up are amazing.  I don't want to single any one individual out on my blog, but I'll talk about what I'm seeing.  We have a grad who graduated and has a job already and could go half-speed, but he instead took on the Upward Bound assignment and is working for HRL as well and is busting his tail.  We have the grad who is coming back for a second year and he just steps up whenever asked without any sort of drama and he's leading our summer resident experience efforts.  We've got the undergrad team that is hole punching documents to remove sensitive information.  We've got the undergraduate team that cleans rooms.  We've got the undergraduate team that answers phones in the Contracts Office and the undergrad team that helps move furniture or work on random Josh projects.  We've got the Corner undergraduate manager who just keeps the place running.  And...of course, we have Kat--who does whatever it takes.  When I think about all of these folks stepping up it makes me smile! 
  3. Finally, The Myles First Birthday Photo Montage!  Myles's first birthday is one week from today!  I cannot believe he'll be a year old!  I've been working on a photo show to music and I'm pumped about it.  I cannot wait to release it next week.  This little guy has brought so much joy to our lives and I love him very, very much.
Have a wonderful day.  To you father's out there:  Happy Fathers Day!  To everyone else...happy running to you...

No comments: