Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Happy National Running Day!


This hat says it all
Hola!  Today is Happy National Running Day and I could not allow the day to pass without writing a short blog.  To celebrate, I ran about 10.25 miles this morning.  The MOST interesting part of my run was when I was confronted by two geese who were protecting their young on a path I run.  Let me tell you something...don't try to run past a Goose on a small width trail when they have their babies out there.  It can become real hairy!  Anyway, I turned around, ran a different way to get around them, and tacked on an extra .25 miles. 
In honor of national running day, here are the three things I'm most appreciative of in running:
  1. Random Encounters:  Seriously, you have some random encounters while running.  Today, it was geese.  Yesterday, it was two people sleeping under a bridge.  Sometimes, it's wild dogs who chase you.  Other times, it's someone you know honking at you because they see you running.  I love all of the people and wildlife I see while running.  I'd never have some of these random encounters if I did not run.  And...the places I've run.  I've been fortunate to run in many, many places:  New York, Pennsylvania, West Va, Maryland, DC, NC, SC, Florida, GA, Alabama, Texas, TN, KY, IN, Ohio, Ill, Michigan, Colorado, California, Oregon, New Mexico, Missouri, Montreal, Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand.  Whew. 
  2. Peace:  Death Cab for Cutie has a song titled "Where Soul Meets Body."  I'll tell you what...when I'm running I feel like my soul and body are in perfect harmony---like there is nothing in the world my body was meant more to do.  I feel at peace, at home, and like I belong when I'm running on the road, on a trail, or even on a treadmill.  It's a feeling I have no matter where I run and it can really center me when I'm feeling off keel or upset.  Running provides a level of confidence that I'm not quite sure I would have it I was not able to lace up the shoes and pound the pavement.
  3. People I have Met:  I have met some OUTSTANDING individuals through running.  It all started with my high school cross country coach and teammates and it's carried on through college, working in colleges, running for Empire Runners, coaching Analy High School Cross Country, working at Bluemile (formerly Running Company), and through this blog.  People are amazing and the Running Community is by and large one of the most friendly and supportive communities that exists.  I'm very fortunate to have met so many runners, joggers, and walkers who are just out there displaying bravery by trying to put one foot in front of the other.
Well, there you have it for National Running Day.  Have a great evening and Happy Running to you...

No comments: