Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2011

1000 Miles for 2011!

Good Morning!  Hope that you are having a great week.  Myles is on my lap napping.  I have coffee.  I just completed a 10.3 mile run.  So...it's time for a short mid-week blog post. 

This morning I eclipsed the 1000 mile mark for 2011.  This marks the sixth consecutive year that I've run 1000 miles or more (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011).  I've now run 9,239 miles since 1/1/2006, which is the date I started my running comeback.  Since 1994 I've run over 23,000 miles.  I love to run and I love that it provides me with grounding, perspective, and confidence.  It's not easy to go out there and run and each time I choose to lace up the shoes at 5a instead of pull the cover back over my head I get just a little stronger and a little tougher.  As I've stated on many occasions on this blog, life is not always easy but I constantly am reminded that running well prepares me to deal with the ups and downs of life.  Additionally, though, it truly helps me put my eggs in multiple baskets.  Right now we are at a peak time in Housing and Res Life and it's easy to put all your "energy eggs" in the Housing and Res Life basket.  While it may be easy, it's not smart.  I used to put all of my "energy eggs" in the work basket and when things were great then life was great and when things were bad then life was bad.  Now...I have eggs in the running basket, the Sarah, Myles and Family basket, and the sports basket in addition to the work basket.  So...when things get rocky in my work basket (which right now the road is pretty smooth), then life can still be good.  People ask what I think about when I run because how could you just run?  Well...I think about my baskets and my eggs and my life and my priorities and I try to really make sure those are in proper balance.  I also think about winning the Olympic Gold in my 40s, Indiana never losing a basketball or football game again, and replaying old memories in my head--those things could take up a blog of their own.  Ha Ha.

Hope you have a great day.  Two people yesterday told me that they are running half-marathons this fall, @lizgordon286 and one of our RA's, Erica Bentz.  This is pretty cool stuff.  I always enjoy connecting with other runners and hearing about what they plan to go after in their running.  It helps keep me motivated.  Happy running to you...

1 comment:

JJ said...

Putting your eggs in different baskets it exceptionally hard when you live and breathe your work... proud of you for getting that perspective!

I would love to see a photo timeline of all your running shoes/styles. I think that could be pretty funny :)