Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Some Heat Advice...

Good Morning!  For my friends living in this crazy zone where the heat is insane I feel compelled to share some running advice.  Let's just be honest:  IT"S HOTTER THAN HECK!  But...you can still run.  Here are some quick tips:
  1. Slow Down!  If you are going to run in this outside, then you need to slow down.  To put it in perspective, I've been running 30-40 seconds slower per mile the past two days.  I just start out running slower knowing that I cannot run the same pace in the heat.
  2. Run Early:  I've been running at 5:30a each day.  It's still hot (83 heat index), but not as bad as 4 or 5p when the heat index has been 110.
  3. Freeze Water so it stays cold:  Last night I froze a 12 ounce bottle of water.  By the second mile (15 minutes into the run) it was unfrozen.  But...because I froze it I was still able to enjoy drinking it at mile 8 (1 hr into the run).  So...freeze the water and try to drink a lot while you run (12 ounces every 45 minutes or so).
  4. Dress Minimally:  Wear running tech clothes that wick away sweat.  There are socks, shirts, shorts, bras, underwear, and hats that do this.  I'm lucky because I'm a guy so I'm just out there in my shorts and shoes.  But...dress light and wear clothes that will wick sweat away.  For those who took this advice to that OTHER place--shame on you--this is a family blog.  ;-)
Have a great day.  Happy running to you.  Be safe!

No comments: