Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

New Orleans & ACUHOI

Good afternoon! Just sitting in a hotel lobby in New Orleans. This week I am attending the Association of College and University Housing Officers International Conference in New Orleans. It's been a great four days as I've learned some new ideas and was able to present a session on our Multicultural Competence Training model in HRL at IUPUI. Here are some thoughts from the last few days.

One, I am fortunate to be able to work at a school that would support me attendance at the conference. It's a great opportunity and there are a number of outstanding people at ACUHOI. It has been great introducing our staff to my Sonoma State friends (Mo, Chuck, & Cyndie)and to our former IUPUI HRL Director, Hayward. I have been fortunate to have them as people who have provided great leadership for me and those four are outstanding. Now...they have to meet my good friend Ralphel. We are building a program in HRL that we hope our staff will see as a family and as special, and I learned that from the good folks I've worked for over the past decade.

Two, I learned some great stuff this week. Three things I'll take back: More knowledge about bed bugs, great information about dealing with bullies, and more ideas about to make sure our communities are safe for LGBT students (Loved the session by the staff at Morgan State).

Three, New Orleans. Wow. It's a great place. Fun and there's a bar and restaurant on every corner. It's hotter than heck and it's not a runners town. But...I've run to the Superdome, through the French Quarter, and along the Mississippi River.

I'll have pictures up soon or you can find them at Facebook or Twitter (@JoshSkillman). Happy running to you...

No comments: