Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

An am track workout...

On Monday I decided to hit the track at 6a, which is new for me. Typically, I just run distances in the morning and I don't worry about speed. However, it's summer and it's hot and I'm busy, so running a fast track workout really is only realistic in the morning. On Monday, I was able to run a good 12 by 200 with a 200 meter jog in between each interval. It's a staple workout that my XC Coach (Coach Rowe) used to have us run. If I run this workout for the next 4-6 weeks, then my legs will be ready to really pop a fast 5K time soon. The workout went well and my fast 200s were faster than they've been in a long time. Good sign.

Running this week has been hard as training for our Professional & Graduate staff has started. Basically, if I'm going to run, it's going to have to be early. It's worth it, though. I'm blessed to work with an outstanding team and the folks I lead are all outstanding. They are looking to me for leadership and I have a duty to provide it well. So...if that means getting up at 5a to run, then so be it. At IUPUI HRL we are trying to be great--not good--great. So...all of us have to make some adjustments.

Had the chance to visit the Muhammad Ali Center in Louisville, Ky today. What an AMAZING place. Ali was a true champion in the ring--but a bigger champion for racial equality and Social Justice. He simply made it his priority to refute racism--even when it meant he had to sit out three years from boxing. I admire him and just love that he was willing to sacrifice what he loved for a greater cause. I hope if I'm ever in a similar situation, I'd choose the right thing over running. The best boxer of all time gave up boxing to stop oppression and racial discrimination. That's just an amazing sacrifice. We all just be committed to making sure all non-violent people--no matter what--are valued, important, and respected.

Have an outstanding evening. If you are able...Go Run!

No comments: