Search This Blog

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Running with other runners...

Today I had the good fortune to be able to run about 6 miles with one of our staff members from Park Place, Kevin. He met me about 7:30a in the Park Place parking lot and we headed out for a nice run. In total, I ended up hitting about 10.75 miles today (4.75 before running w/ Kevin and 6 with Kevin).

I often get asked if I like running with others. My answer is always yes, but I have to distinguish between "running with others." When I run with others it's all about the two (or however many) of us running at a pace that's comfortable for everyone so that we can run together, chat, and just enjoy hitting the pavement with our feet and moving forward. Generally, I don't like to race my running partners or folks that I run with (unless it's a race). Quite simply, I use the days I am able to run with others as a nice treat--it's easier to run when you have someone to run with. Even if my daily pace is quicker or vice versa, I use the days I run alone to run fast or hard and I use the days I run with others to enjoy their company. So...if you are reading this and you live close to me, then you have an open invite to run with me for however long you want to run.

Now...the other part of "running with others." I was running one day earlier this week and as I was about a mile from home this guy passed me. Now...this caught me by surprise because generally I do not get passed because it's rare I see anyone out that early and if you do you really have to be close in order to actually pass someone. In my mind I'm thinking, "Josh, it's no big deal...he's just running a fast workout." But...the little competitive guy on my left shoulder was saying, "wth (what the heck) Josh you cannot let this happen." So...I very quickly increased my pace and ran right behind him. Sensing me behind him, the guy surged. Neither of us gave an inch for about 3/4 of a mile--at which we hit a fork in the road and my side of the fork took me home and his...? Needless to say, it was funny. Here are two shirtless guys who don't know each other racing down the Indianapolis Canal at 6:30a on a random weekday. So...in that regard I don't like "running with others." I'm too darn competitive and I just could not let the guy paste me like that. Anyway...kind of a funny story. (see picture of me racing cause this is what it was like minus the singlet)

Well...have a great Saturday. I've run, planted some more flowers on our patio, and now I'm headed over to my office to work on some fall training stuff. Happy running folks.

No comments: