Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Great Week of Training...

Inspiring Photo of Lake Tahoe.  Great Place to Run & Ski
Hope you are having a nice Sunday.  I had a very nice week of running this week as I was able to hit 30 miles for the week.  Over the past three weeks I have hit a little over 80 miles, which is not bad.  Today, I had a very nice 8 mile run.  It was cold, but it was not nearly as bad as a month ago when it was 8-15 degrees outside. 

I read a fantastic quote in The Running Times about running in the cold from a high school cross country coach in Syracuse, NY.  He said: 

"The harsh and bitter winds harden the soul, test one's will, and create the mentality that a runner is indestructible against all elements, conditions, and race situations."

If you are a consistent reader of my blog, then you know I write a ton about how running really helps develop an internal toughness that helps you in your daily life.  The above quote further adds to my body of quotes/stories that I call upon to support my overarching philosophy about running and life:  Being a runner helps you develop an "indestructible soul."  I love it.  Absolutely love it.  In my own life, the responsibilities I have sometimes seem like they are about to get the better of me.  However, I know, from running in all sorts of elements and conditions, that I have it in myself to meet every single responsibility that comes from work and my personal life.  There is not a second when I doubt I can do it, and that belief has a ton to do with being a runner.  Like today, for example, the first four miles were strait into a cold headwind.  I knew, though, that if I spent the first four miles going into the wind that I'd spend the last four miles going with the wind.  In life, if you put the hard work in to prepare for any situation, then the situation usually goes your way when you need it to. 

This week will be another busy one as I head to The Placement Exchange to recruit Residence Directors for our department.  I'm really excited about the 24 people I'm going to meet that we have scheduled for interviews.  It will be fun trying to find two great individuals to join our already loaded HRL Team.  By the time July rolls around, we will be loaded with a talented undergraduate, graduate, and professional staff.  We are already fortunate to have an outstanding graduating class of student leaders, but as they graduate we have to bring in new talent.  It's very much like coaching a college basketball or football team.  You have to recruit hard to reload. 

Have an outstanding week.  I'm not sure if I'll be blogging much this week, but I'll try to if possible.  Happy running to you and remember that everything you need to succeed lies within you!

No comments: