Search This Blog

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dear Mother Nature, Why so Cold?

Wow.  I ran outside today and it's 12 degrees but feels like 3 degrees with the windchill.  It's not exactly a day where you want to go outside and run.  I have mentioned on a couple of occasions that I run outside in nearly all conditions.  I think what's important, though, is to follow up on that with how I do it reasonably.  For instance, today I decided only to run for about 4 miles or roughly 30 minutes.  It's so cold that after about a half hour my face is going to really start to suffer from the extreme temps.  In the summer I implement a similar strategy when it's above 90.  Sometimes, just running a little in extreme temps is just as good as running your normal distance in more regular temperatures.  So...what is a "normal" temperature anyway.  Here's a guide.

Below 0:  Personally, that's a day off for me.  In Minnesota, it's probably considered Spring.
0-15 degrees:  That's cold and you should run in moderation with outstanding winter gear
15-29 degrees:  Still cold, but you can probably be fine at 30 minutes to 60 minutes with the right gear
30-50 degrees:  Great for running.
50-70 degrees:  Ideal for running.  Shorts and a shirt (long below 60, short above 60)
70-80 degrees:  Still great for running.  Focus on hydration.  Wear shorts and short sleeve shirt or tank top.
80-90 degrees:  Danger zone if you don't stay hydrated.  Still can run normal in low to mid 80s.
90+ degrees:  Take it easy, keep hydrated, wear very little (but be legal)

Some folks love the treadmill and if you are a treadmill person (and there is nothing wrong with that), then this blog is sort of irrelevant.  For me, in the past three years I've run on a treadmill one time.  So...I'm not on one very much at all.

I do not have a lot more to write about today.  It was an outstanding work week.  Myles and I are having a great day while Sarah is at work at Riley.  I'm about to head out to the French Walmart (Target) to get our weekly supplies.  Have a great Saturday and Happy Running to you...

1 comment:

crossn81 said...

A few years ago I ran a race when it was -15 with a windchill of -27. It was bitterly cold, but we survived! What is kind of crazy is that they have a system in place to decide when it is cold enough to actually cancel or shorten the race! I believe -20 is the cutoff for cancelling, but it may be colder! And they added a 3rd race this year!! A half, 10k, and 5k. If nothing else, check out the link and scroll down for an awesome picture of one of the runners!