Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Lost in the Run...

Good morning!  Hope that you are doing well.  I just finished up a very nice five mile run in the dark.  I left around 5:45a and am back here in time to take Sarah to work--and then get ready for work myself.  I'm afraid that I cannot write a very long or insightful blog today as something is bothering me and it's confidential.  So much of my blogging is me talking about my life so it's difficult to be authentic here when I have to hold back a bit out of professionalism.

So...it's a great thing I'm a runner.  There have been so many times over the years in my career in Housing and Residence Life where work becomes stressful and tough challenges present themselves.  I've processed so many challenges during my daily runs and usually end up reaching the right conclusions.  I really think it's the rhythmic movement of my feet and arms that calms my brain and just allows it to explore frustrations, challenges, and possibilities.  It's almost like the "free association" writing exercises my English teachers in high school used to make us do for brainstorming.  Anyway, I'm a big proponent of running when I'm stressed because I find my brain truly does get to process the stress and I generally feel better afterwards.

Every now and then, though, I also benefit from a little day dreaming when I run.  Sometimes, I'll create an entire story in my head and play it out on my run.  This morning I was the Indiana Basketball coach and I was leading us to multiple national titles.  Sometimes I'm a runner on his last chance to make the Olympic team and I surprise everyone, make the team, and then win the gold.  Other times, I just play out the next 3-4 years in my head and how I'd like them to go.  The point is...sometimes I just like to get lost in the run and see where my mind takes me.  It's fun.  It's silly, I know.  But...it's me and it's how I find my best ideas, make logical life plans, and sometimes just be me.

I have been reading Tony Dungy's book Quiet Strength.  It's a great book.  Coach Dungy was the coach of the Colts when they won the Superbowl and he's widely considered an outstanding coach and person. Last night's chapter had a quote that read, "It's always easier to do things the wrong way, but it's always best to do them the right way."  I find that to be so true and something to think about and take with me.  I love reading books about people and about Leadership because I often find helpful quotes or stories I can use with my staff.  I know that I will definitely use this one at some point.  Have a great day.  Happy running to you...

No comments: