Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2011

An Unexpected Honor...

Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day here in the United States and millions of people pay tribute to the man who was largely responsible for ending racial inequality in America.  Growing up as a kid and studying history in school I was always enamored with Martin Luther King Jr. and absolutely in awe of the fortitude it must have taken to lead the way.  He was met with hateful words, water shot at him through hoses, arrests for "civil disobedience," and ultimately he was killed standing up for what was right.  Perhaps, no one in American history serves as an example of what the concept of "America" is supposed to be than Martin Luther King Jr. 

Last night I had the good fortune to attend IUPUI's Martin Luther King Jr. Dinner, which was planned and hosted by the IUPUI Black Student Union.  This event has been an IUPUI tradition for over 40 years and the students really do a great job with the dinner for nearly 500 people.  The food was fantastic, the speakers were inspiring, and the entire event was simply first class all the way. 

There is a part of the evening where the Black Student Union gives out some special recognition to people who have been considered to be "Advocates of the Dream."  One of the students who serves as a Resident Assistant in our department, Ose Agho, started reading about how the award goes to someone who tries to promote diversity, social justice, and human awareness on campus and tries to really help all students--someone who not just says it but lives it.  Then...she said something that nearly made me pass out.  She said, "and our Assistant Director of Housing and Residence Life..."  At that point, I'm thinking wow that's me, and before I could process it she named me as one of the winners of The Advocate of the Dream" award.  She called me up to the stage and several of the students in our program were standing up and cheering.  It was surreal as I just could not believe that they selected me.  It was one of those moments that was so personally humbling and amazing.

Since my days in Bloomington back in the late 90s I have really worked hard to be an advocate for students who are underrepresented on campus, and I have continued to try and do that in my career at UGA, Sonoma State, and now at IUPUI.  While I do my best to reach out and let students know that I am a "safe" person to rely on, it really takes the students taking a leap of faith to trust me--a white guy with a southern accent from Kentucky.  I think that's why this award means so very much to me--because it comes from students.  In my work it's all about the students and all about helping them reach their dreams and to do well in college.  In 2001 I graduated from the IU HESA Program.  At that time I was writing cover letters to apply for jobs and I recall writing the statement, "every day I get up out of bed feeling so fortunate to be able to make a positive impact on students."  Ten years later, I still feel the same way...each day I have an opportunity to make someones day--to be a "plus one."  Any accomplishment that I may receive is really a shared accomplishment between the students I have led and myself.  It is just as much about them buying into to me and what I stand for as it is about what I do on a day to day basis.  When I try to connect to all students regardless of what they look like, who they love, how much money they have, where the come from, etc., it really takes the students being open to someone who may be "different" from them in order for it to work.  Martin Luther King Jr. dreamed of a world where people worked together, trusted each other, and helped each other succeed regardless of skin color or difference.  For me, to win an award that is named after Martin Luther King Jr. and given by students is something I'll forever cherish, never forget, and work hard every day to live up to what being an "Advocate of the Dream" means.  It's an unexpected honor and it's one that I will forever deeply appreciate.

1 comment:

RedVU9395 said...

One, not surprised at all!!!

Two, boy, the tears and all the memories. We all have bits of Granddad and Grandma in us. I am remembering when Granddad received an 'unexpected honor' and Grandma let me in on the surprise so I could be there for it. I wish I could have been there for yours also. You are an amazing gentleman, and I am very proud to be able to claim you as one of my family.

(The Green Shovel didn't do this. LOL)