Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2011

First in the Snow!

Good morning!  Every so often when I wake up to run early (530a or so) in the winter I find a fresh snow that has just fallen from the sky.  On a day like today when I ran early enough and the snow was fresh, I was the first to run on my path and it's kind of cool to leave the first shoe print.  For me, leaving the first shoe print in the new fallen snow is emblematic of me in general.  I'm someone who likes a challenge, who likes to develop new ways to do things, and who in general is just not slowed down by much on most days.  I talk about perseverance in life and how running helps with perseverance a lot in this blog.  I am asked a few times a year about running outside in the various weather conditions (cold, snow, sleet, rain, heat, etc.).  My reply is always the same, "i run from 0-100 degrees in rain, snow, sleet, etc."  As long as I'm not going to endanger my health, I'm going to run.  I think that running when it's no fun outside teaches a larger and significantly important lesson, which is that you can still accomplish what you want to accomplish no matter what the conditions because you still control yourself and your actions.  It would have been easy this morning to say, "it's snowing and 20 degrees and I'll go back to bed."  But...I knew that I had the right equipment to run in the snow and I knew that the only thing that would stop me was well...me.  Running teaches you to persevere through a variety of conditions, physical feelings of exhaustion at times, and mental fatigue.  I think with every mile I run, I just continue to build my personal ability to get through tough times that are not related to running.  I live a very fortunate life and I don't have a ton of personal drama (knock on wood), but when I do encounter tough times I know that being a runner helps me deal and push through.

I'm off to work.  Enjoy my new Myles video strait from MylesTV.  Happy running to you!

No comments: