Search This Blog

Monday, January 3, 2011

When you cannot sleep...Run!

Well...it's rare that I don't just hit the pillow and pass out until the alarm goes off or Myles wakes me up. Last night, though, was very different. I knew I was in trouble when I woke up at Midnight and was restless. It was a night in which I just could not sleep. Finally, at 5a I snuck out of the bed as to not wake Sarah or Myles, threw on my new Mizuno Wave Rider running shoes, and just went for a nice six mile run in the dark. It was a great run, I listened to my iPod through my iPhone, and just enjoyed the sounds from Coldplay, Eminem, Taylor Swift, and Jay Z.

Today begins the first day of work for the Spring Semester. I'm pumped. This weekend I worked hard to put together training plans for our Res Life Supervisory Team and for our Undergraduate Student Staff. I feel energized and ready to go. This morning I could not help but note the difference between January of 2009 and January of 2011. In January of 2009 I was in a job that was a bad fit for me and I recall the first day of work back from break and just dreading it. I felt like I had NOTHING to look forward to and I was so down. I remember running and vowing that I would somehow get back to doing what it was I was meant to do: Work with Students and Staff in Residence Life and Housing. Today...it's 2011 and I just could not wait to get out of bed and go to work. I'm blessed and very fortunate and I must always keep that in the forefront of my mind. To do what one loves to do daily should never be taken for granted.

Happy Running to You!

No comments: