Search This Blog

Saturday, April 9, 2011

30 Percent Chance of Rain My Tail...

Good morning!  "It's the freaking weekend baby I'm about to have me a run..."  Ha Ha Ha.  ROTFLMAO!  This morning I woke up excited about running.  It looked like it was going to rain.  I've learned over the 17 years of running that when the sky looks a certain way--no matter what the forecasters say--it's going to rain.  However, I looked at my Weather Channel App on my IPhone and it said 30% chance.  I thought, "well, there's a 70 percent shot it won't rain."  Just in case, I slipped on my water and wind proof jacket and went for it.  Let me tell you something:  There is a 100% shot it rained the ENTIRE time I ran.  Not just rained, but stormed.  Once again, I should trust my gut.  I always get into trouble when I don't.  I guess I really did not get into trouble, but I really did get very, very wet.  Overall, I ran a little over 8 miles in about 59 minutes.  Not too bad. 

This week has been a great week.  It's been busy as I've been leading the charge in recruiting a couple new staff members to work in our department.  I am always very appreciative of candidates who choose to spend time with us and really give us a look.  Over the past month or so I've spoken with some outstanding individuals and I wish we had more spots available.  A candidate gave me a huge compliment this week whether this person knew it or not.  The person said to me, "I interviewed with over 20 schools at TPE and not one school asked the sorts of questions you asked and that's what kept me interested in your department."  For me, this was a fantastic observation as I did rewrite our questions with the thought of just asking exactly what we needed to know to see if the person would be a good fit.  Job searches are about fit, and to steal a quote from a coach whose name escapes me, "we are who we say we are."  Or...to steal a line from Lupe Fiasco, "if you are what you say you are..."  I love that about the folks that I work with daily--we are transparent, sincere, and really focused on students.  At the same time, I feel we are a group always trying to get better and improve.  That's key.  As soon as you think you are perfect and don't need to get better, then you get knocked on your tail.  No doubt about it.


One of my favorite Myles pictures
I love to present at conferences and I'm thinking of submitting a program proposal  again this year for GLACUHO (Great Lakes Association of College and University Housing Officers) titled:  "What I Learned about Working in Housing and Residence Life While Running."  Yeah, I know it's a spoof of my blog, but it's so true for me.  The work I do is so deeply personal to me and I'm so proud of it and focused on it (and I'm sure others feel the same way).  I'm a Blue on the True Colors and a Feeler on the Myers Briggs and a Get Along on the Lens of Understanding.  What this means for me is that I'm deeply impacted when things change, or tough decisions get made, or I upset someone.  Without balance, I am vulnerable to making a hurtful comment or making a dumb decision.  Running balances me out, helps me process possible decisions, and really provides me with a way to explore my feelings before acting.  In Housing and Residence Life work making good choices and staying calm is SO KEY to your leadership.  For me, I've seen good people just lose it because they became so invested in their work that they lost perspective.  I know I could do the same, and that's why running helps me so much.  Yes, I was already a runner, but running truly helps make me good at what I do.  So...Maybe I will submit a proposal and see what happens.  Have a great weekend!  Tomorrow will be my three best for the week.  Stay dry, stay balanced, and happy running to you....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd attend that seminar... :)

Student Affairs draws so many really cool, committed people...

Always love to hear you're doing well.

Anonymous said...

love the idea of your GLACUHO presentation!

IndianaJosh said...

Thanks to you both for the great feedback. I think I'll submit it and see what happens. Have a great week!