Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Scorpio...

"A Scorpio never gives up, they are so determined to reach their goal. The key to their success is their flexibility. They are able to re-survey a situation and take a different approach if necessary. This makes them very adaptable and versatile. Scorpios are fierce competitors..." --Zodiac Signs
The Face of A Scorpio

I do a lot of thinking while I run--especially about my life, personality, goals, successes, disappointments, ideas, etc.  On my run yesterday I thought a lot about my personality and I happened to read a bit about my Zodiac sign, The Scorpio, this morning.  While I was running this morning I felt inspired to write a blog entry about my sign.  There is so much about me that is definitely so Scorpio.  I am competitive with a capital C.  It's true that I never give up or think I'm beaten and I'll move and change and do whatever necessary to reach my goal.  I'm fierce when it comes to going after my goals and when I think I've been wronged.  I trust wholeheartedly, but never forget being burned or underestimated.  I love being the underdog and often root against the favorite, the favored, or the elite.  I'm drawn to situations that put me in an underdog role or in an impossible situation because I love to be the one that that changed or completed what no one thought possible.  Scorpios are also loyal to a fault.  For me, this is so true.  I value loyalty over most any other trait.  Heck, I am such a loyal Indiana University fan and my basketball and football teams have struggled for many years.  Yet, I love IU every bit as much now as I did when they were at the top of the basketball world.  When I think about many of the traits of a Scorpio, I embody many of them. 

There is not doubt that being a Scorpio helps me greatly as a runner.  I so identify with the statement "a Scorpio never gives up, they are so determined to reach their goal."  As a runner--especially as I embark on another marathon--that statement is the key to my training and a key to my personality.  When you are in the marathon, as I've stated on a few occasions, there are times when quitting seems much more desirable than finishing.  However, it's that drive inside of me that will not allow for me to quit, let up, or stop.  In addition, it's the flexible part of being a Scorpio that helps me readjust during a race, during a run, or in life to make sure that small set backs don't end up blocking progress.  In life, we all get beat every now and then, but you've got to get up, keep fighting, and get ready to win the next one.  You cannot get what you want if you are not willing to risk the possibility of defeat or failure.  I think that this outlook has a lot to do with being a Scorpio and also being a runner, and the combination of those two traits makes me a pretty odd but interesting character. 

I ran 9 miles this morning in about 61:30 and I finished out the last 3-4 miles at about a 6:30 per mile clip.  I'm so excited about running a marathon this fall and I'm ready.  The fire is back inside of me ignited by a few things, but it's back.  I'm thinking that I'm 99% sure I'll run the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on November 5, 2011.  It's truly and Indianapolis specific race past all of the sites and areas I love.  On my run today I thought about using the Monumental Marathon to qualify for the Boston Marathon next April (one year from Monday).  I'm pumped.  As a runner, one of the things I've always wanted to do is run Boston.  I've qualified three times and never signed up.  It's time to go after it.  It's time to once again push the envelope of what I'm capable of doing at the 26.2 mile distance.  It's time.

Happy running to you...

No comments: