Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

Character...

Good morning.  Going to write another short blog as I'm inspired this morning after my run.  Ran 6 miles this morning at 5:15a.  It was a nice run and it felt good.  I really became focused two weeks ago when committing to the marathon for the fall and I've run a lot more.  Already, my mental and physical ability has increased positively by a ton.  When I run and am focused on a race, then I'm at my best.

On my run this morning I was thinking about a conversation I had  yesterday with a teammate about my Grandad.  We were in my office and I was telling him about the Kentucky Wesleyan College chair that sits in my office that my Grandad was awarded when he retired from KWC as the Dean of Students.  I keep that chair in my office because it reminds me of him and it serves as a guide post for decision making.  You see, my Grandad always did the right thing and the right thing was always about what was fair and just for the student.  Whenever I have a tough decision to make, I generally think about what would he do.  What would be the most just or must fair way to proceed?  Whenever I would go out to eat with he and my Grandmother in Owensboro--even after her retired--it was common for someone to come up to the table and say, "Hello Dean Gorrell" and that would be followed by a "thank you for the time you gave me a second shot when I did X or thank you for helping me when I needed it most."  I grew up around that positive energy and positive influence and I still carry it with me to this day.  In this life, it's character that counts.  My Grandad had excellent character and then some.  His life was not always easy, but he carried himself the same way in good times and in bad times.  He always did the right thing--even when difficult and even when it required more work.  I admired that so much growing up, and that example he set drives me daily.  I'm a fortunate person to have had a person like that in my life.

Off to work.  Happy running to you....

1 comment:

Juggler said...

I never knew you were a "legacy" student affairs guy... your Grandad sounds really cool.

We had a heavy discipline period here. Expelled a student, suspended about six more. It's really encouraging to hear these stories because it reminds me that doing the hard thing is also most often what is right for the students' development at that time. And I also appreciate the ability to offer grace and educational moments.

Keep it up...