Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunday Best for April 3...


Myles Meets a Bulldog

Good morning to you.  Hope that you are having a splendid Sunday thus far.  Mine has been good.  Woke up early and took Myles out, ate some breakfast and enjoyed some coffee, and just finished up a 6.25 mile run.  Last Sunday I introduced the concept of my three best for the week and it seemed to work well and served as a nice reflective end to my week.  So...I'm going to try it again.

#1:  Spending time with Sarah and Myles yesterday afternoon.  The three of us headed up to the Butler campus and walked around.  There was a street fair and lots of Butler fans.  We had a great time walking Myles around and just spending some time together.  While I did not attend Butler, I have been rooting for them in the NCAA Tourney.  I love what they stand for and really enjoy watching them play.  Sarah and I had a great time with the patrons and staff at Mesh last night watching the game.  It's amazing how this city has adopted Butler and been really supportive.   I hope that the beat UCONN on Monday. 


#2:  IUPUI graduate staff.  I'm very proud of our three graduate students (Danielle, Drew, & Brian) who are out there interviewing for full time positions currently.  All three had on-campus interviews at prospective schools this week and they are doing a great job representing themselves and IUPUI HRL.  In my work, helping to develop leaders is what it's all about and like I've said a few times I have really enjoyed working with these three.  They are talented and hard-working, but most importantly coachable.  You can have all the talent in the world, but if you cannot be coached then your potential is limited.

#3:  Running refocus.  The more I have thought about it, the more I think running a fall marathon makes sense.  Like I said yesterday, I love tough challenges that take a lot of work and where the outcome will come down to the wire.  Big risk, big reward.  The marathon is such a beast and such a difficult challenge, and it's giving me chills just writing about it.  It's been since 2008 at Eugene since I've run a marathon, but I think I'm ready to tackle marathon number 5.  I know I said never again, but how many time did Brett Favre come back?  I'm excited about this and really think I'll commit. to the Indianapolis Marathon.  Why Indianapolis Marathon?  Well, that's where it all started in the fall of 1999.  I signed up for the Indianapolis Marathon, trained for it, ran in it, but was sent the wrong direction by a volunteer during the race and never completed it.  So...I should have five marathons, but only have finished four.  I was so devastated on that October day in 1999, so maybe it's time to write a new chapter for myself in that race.  I'll let you all know what I decide very soon.  For now, I'm approaching each run like I'm building for the marathon.

All in all it's been a great week.  My job continues to be very busy and unpredictable on some days, but I really enjoy it.  I could never just stay in a job where the same thing happened daily.  I'm blessed to work in Housing & Residence Life and I work with some of the best students around.  Have a great day.  Happy running to you...

No comments: