Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Running Partners...

Amazing Running Gear!  Ask me for details!
Hello!  Happy Saturday to you.  Today is a great day already and it's going to get even better as I am going to plant some flowers this afternoon.  Who knew I'd get such a kick out of flower planting?  Ha Ha.  I ran 12 miles this morning in about 84 minutes.  Not too shabby.  For those of you familiar with downtown Indianapolis, I ran from Creation Cafe area up to the Butler athletic fields (on the toe path) and back.  Fun run.  Check out my socks and arch aids.  Both really help on a long run.  The socks prevent blisters between the toes and the arch aids support my unnaturally high arches.

I really appreciate all of the personal emails and messages about my blog entry titled "Grandparents."  That specific entry meant a lot to me and the feedback from those who read that entry was fantastic.  My blog is simple and intended for me to form and maintain personal connections with those who read.  Feel free to keep the comments flowing. 

Today I wanted to write a little bit about my running partners.  For me, my running partners are not people who run with me physically because I run most miles by myself.  Rather, my running partners are the people who read this blog and coorespond with me about their personal running journeys.  For instance, there is Tracy, my cousin, who started running in the last year.  This week I sent her an email letting her know that she was the person I listed on my Indianapolis Monumental Marathon entry form as the person who inspired me to sign up.  Her comment was something to the effect of, "really?"  Yes, it's true.  You see, I'm inspired by Tracy's fearlessness in tackling half and full marathons when she's never run like that before.  That sort of courage is inspiring to me.  And...while I may inspire her, she can equally inspire me.  There is also Shelly in Washington State who is training for a marathon while raising four young kids.  I have a hard time getting my miles in and I just have a dog.  I cannot imagine training for a marathon and also having responsibility for children.  That's absolutely amazing.  There is Zac, my friend from Bloomington who lives in Colorado, who is an outstanding runner training for his first marathon.  My friend Aaron in Kentucky ran his first marathon about a year ago while running a business and taking care of his family.  And...in Res Life at IUPUI you have Erica, Theresa, Billy, Jillian, Amy, Rachel, Kevin, and Nick (and I'm sure others) who are training for different marathons and half-marathons.  Plus,  Thomas and Heather form OSI who run.  There is even Brian, who says he "slogs."  All of these people (plus all of the other folks I used to coach in California) are my running partners in the sense that I gain strength, motivation, and inspiration to run in hearing about their running journeys.  It's a two way street and that's the beauty of running.  Inspiration can come from anywhere and it does not matter how fast, how slow, or how long.  All that matters is you give it a shot.

Have an outstanding day.  I promise to post pictures of my flower planting and mulching efforts later today.  Happy running to you.

3 comments:

Brian said...

Just got back from a nice 30 min slog :)
Thank you for the running inspiration every day.

h8zel8ngl22 said...

I enjoyed this post! I can identify with it, as i also have "running partners" situated across cities and states. When I wake up and feel a lack of running motivation i think of these partners who keep on the move. I'm glad to have them for inspiration and motivation! I just got back from a 10 mile run, my first one ever, and ironically when I was tired halfway through I thought of u training for a full and I picked my pace up :)

IndianaJosh said...

Thanks Brian & Heather! Have a great day!