Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Nice Long Run...

Happy Saturday!  Hope you are well.  I'm am ecstatic this morning.  I just finished up a 10.25 mile run in about 73 minutes in 28 seconds.  Not too shabby for my first double digit run of the year.  The week of TPE I ran 9 miles in 7 days.  Today I ran 10.25.  So...needless to say I'm getting serious about my 2011 training and am ready to keep up the good mileage and build the base to rock the Monumental Marathon in November.

This week was a week full of lessons, challenges, and successes.  I think the best way to discuss these is through the lens of running.  Here goes.  When you run, your plan constantly is adjusted based on the elements, terrain, and how you feel internally.  It's rare, that all of those fire in your favor at the same time.  Sometimes, the terrain is inviting and is begging you to run and saying the road is yours.  However, sometimes the elements and how you feel prevent you from really taking advantage of the terrain.  Sometimes, the terrain is rough, uninviting, and is saying don't even try to run here.  Yet, you feel great and confident and the elements are all pointing to giving it a go (sunny, slightly warm, small breeze of encouragement).  Sometimes, both the terrain and the elements are perfect, but you just don't internally feel it.  It's smooth terrain, perfect conditions, but you just feel like junk and cannot feel good about running.  It's rare that the terrain, elements, and your internal feelings all line up, but when it does--like it did for me today--the run is great.  When it doesn't--you have a choice, run or keep the shoes in the closet and sit on the couch.  Mostly, I choose to run and go with the elements, terrain, and what my body gives me.  In life, I mostly choose to do the same.  Point is, no matter what the conditions (elements + terrain + internal feelings), I'll be running and getting after it.  In the end, those who "stick to the fight when they are hardest hit" prevail.  Same goes for life.  Same goes for last week. 

A great day lies ahead and a great start to the week could happen (cross your fingers).  Our team could get two outstanding additions--even you know what I mean.  Happy running to you...

No comments: