Search This Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Dripping w/ Sweat!


Write this down!  April 10 was the first time after running that I was completely drenched in sweat in 2011.  Yeah, gross, I know.  But...the sweat means that the warmer temps are nearly here to stay and that Spring will be in full effect soon.  I ran about 1p this afternoon and it was a little over 80.  It was hot, my body temp rose quickly, and I did not feel very good on the six mile run--I will say, though, that it's pretty normal to feel bad on you first few runs as temperatures increase.  Your body has to get used to the heat.  So...if it's pretty outside and you are looking forward to running but you get out there and feel like junk...don't worry.  It's normal for the first few runs when the temps increase.  Just drink lots of Gatorade and Water.


Myles & The Foam Roller

I thought I may take a minute to give folks a tip about something I use after every run, a Foam Roller.  What I learned the last time I was injured (2008 with IT Band Syndrome) is that your muscle tissue (especially in your outside quad areas) can get banded up and actually provide less flexibility for your IT band.  This can cause pain in your knee (inside or outside), in your hip area, and even into your back.  When I worked at the Running Company (now Bluemile) the good folks of St. Vincent Sports performance talked to us about the Foam Roller.  The Foam roller is a little cylinder that you roll on (outside of your legs) an
d it helps smooth out the tissue and keep it from banding up.  Sometimes, it causes light bruising, but using it daily has keep me running injury free for about two  years now (knock on wood).  I've included a picture of it next to Myles--he thinks of it as his friend too.  Email me or comment in the blog if you have questions on how to best use it.

Now...for my three best for the week.  I've enjoyed doing this the past two weeks so it's back for a third week.

#1:  Going on a date with Sarah last Thursday to eat at Napolese in Broadripple and then see to Matt & Kim for Rock for Riley at the Vogue.  She convinced me to go and I had no idea who Matt & Kim were, but dang was it fun and dang were they good.  I'm telling you right now to go to iTunes, search for Matt & Kim, and listen to their music.  It's good stuff in my opinion.  Sarah and I don't get to go out much with our schedules so it was great to be out with her before her crazy surgery rotation this next month.

#2:  Sitting outside reading on the porch with Myles while having an adult beverage.  It was a great way to spend the early evening last night.  I cannot believe he just sat in the chair next to me.  He loves people watching and I love him.

#3:  Brunch with Sarah at 3 Sisters in Broadripple.  Once again, Sarah does not disappoint with her dining selections.  I enjoyed a healthy dose of French Toast and it was outstanding.  Great time spent with Sarah just enjoying the moment.

All in all, this week was pretty good.  I ran five days this week and hit over 30 miles for the week.  Slowly, I'm getting back to where I know I can be in terms of running and it's nice.  Happy running to you...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Miles is growing up and learning the joys of sitting still and watching life go by.

Only took my 34 years before I got a glimmer of that kind of peace for myself. Miles is smart. ;)

IndianaJosh said...

Myles has been so good for me. Just him being him teaches me something everyday. Animals are so good for mental health and balance. As you can see, I love him a ton and am a proud father. ;-)